Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Trust in God

This morning we got to sleep in a little longer. I didn't get up until 7am which was nice. I slept fairly well last night. After my shower, Scott and I did about 30 minutes of a Bible study. The main point of the lesson was that you can always count on God. He's immutable. The funny thing is how quickly that can be forgotten as you are standing in the lobby waiting for a late shuttle bus that is completely messing up your agenda! :) I even said the right thing to Scott. I'm not going to freak out I'm going to trust God. Of course that is easier said than done!

My plan had been to catch the bus at 8:30am, hopefully the driver would be willing to drop me at the Hyatt Regency since they drive right by it and I could grab something free for breakfast in the lobby for the keynote speaker that would probably be very boring b/c it was about gaming in the library. Who needs gaming in a library?! :) When we get in, Scott asks the driver if he could drop me off near the Hyatt. The driver immediately recites his speech, "I'm sorry we can only drop off at the airport." I was definitely going to be late.

As Scott and I settle into the shuttle bus at 8:40am, I take a deep breath and settle back for the 10 minute ride. The driver takes a way I hadn't been yet. I look over at Interstate 395 and quickly realize it's the middle of rush hour. We take some back roads, he hops on the Interstate. I hold my breath as he tries to get off at the next exit, I'm sure the navy blue van behind us that had to come to a complete stop was saying some choice words unless of course he had impersonal love down to perfection.

We make it to Crystal Lake Road in about 20 minutes, about ten minutes before the speaker was to begin and I still had to get out of the airport and either take the Metro and walk about 6 blocks or try to hop on a Hyatt Shuttle bus. I took a deep breath and kicked myself and thought, "Why don't you just do what you told Scott you were going to do." So I sat back and thought, "God has this completely under control. Who cares if you miss some of the keynote. He knows so much better what my day will bring and where I need to be when." I
then decided to soak in as much of the city as I could and enjoy where God had me at that moment. I looked over and said to Scott, "There's my hotel, one block away, too bad I can't just jump out here!" We come to a red light and the driver tells me I can jump out if I want to! As Scott and the driver pulled away I smiled and waved my smile was completely genuine from in my soul thinking how perfectly things turn out when we trust Him. I had 8 minutes to grab some fruit or a bagel and head in to listen to the speaker.

Of course there was no food left but I figured God knew best so I went and found a seat - in the front with a table and a plug in for my computer. Almost like my guardian angel had skipped ahead of me and was holding my place. The funny thing was that it was 4 seats down from my boss. The keynote was fabulous and really opened my eyes. It was a group of 3 men from another library in another country who have been traveling around the states videotaping and interviewing different libraries. They showed us different clips. It was great. I'm starting to think the difference between the glass half empty or half full is a matter of your relationship with God and the current state of your soul. After the session, I ate two granola bars I had in my backpack and here I am waiting for the next session to begin...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

grnola bars don't cost anything

asj693 said...

They did when I bought them at the store! :)