I have missed every one of you throughout the summer. It’s great to see you all again. God has been teaching me a lesson the last few years, and that is to keep my eyes on Him not the important people in my life. He has demonstrated His immutability to me. He never changes. No matter who disappoints me in my life, He is always there, He is always consistent. I can rely on Him. I can honestly say that almost every person that has worked for me has pleasantly surprised me in different ways. They have stepped up in ways I was not expecting. BUT I can also say that the same people – you – have also disappointed/discouraged me once in a while. If my work life was dependent upon whether you are surprising me or disappointing me I would be on a yo-yo. I would probably slowly begin to lose my mind. God has taught me that we are all human and we all make mistakes. He doesn’t require us to be faultless just faithful. When we mess up we need to pick ourselves up, take responsibility and try again to do our job as unto the Lord.
We don’t expect perfection from you but we do expect you to step up and do your best. Those of you have been in sports may know who John Wooden is. He was a basketball player for Purdue University and a NBL player before he began his coaching career. He is probably most known for coaching the UCLA basketball team through ten NCAA national championships in a 12-year period. One of his many life inspiring quotes is, “If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?” I would like you to think about this as you spend this semester on your homework, your sports, your music, your friends, your family. Something else that stands out about John Wooden was his faith.
As you begin this new semester, I hope that you will take time to reflect on your successes and failures of last year and re-prioritize. This is a new slate, a new semester. Decide what is most important to you and talk to God about whether it needs to be adjusted or not. Remember to keep your eyes on God and turn your frustrations over to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment