Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday, June 30, 2008

I think I slept for ten hours last night. I didn’t fully wake up until 8:30 this morning. My arms were feeling better until I typed my blog entry from the day before. They started to cramp again. I took two more ibuprofen and they have been tolerable for most of the day; Just a twinge of pain here and there. It was already 70 degrees when I woke up this morning so it must not have been too cold last night. There has been a nice breeze all day which helped keep the mosquitoes to a minimum. We just had a lazy morning; sitting around talking or reading. After lunch (leftover soup), we headed down to the dock. It was sunny with a cool breeze. It couldn’t have been a nicer day. Scott took my kayak for a short spin to test it out. We worked on clearing off the beach some more. I found a lot of hard but mushy little, black slimy things and just as many white wormlike bugs with a brown head and legs. I would be interested to know what they were. I killed a few bloodsuckers that must have just hatched in the muck on shore. We chopped and pulled some of the weeds and grass along the shoreline. Mommy Ducky came by with her 8 babies and an eagle flew over. I was really worried we would have a repeat of the “Dianne” incident when the eagle swooped down in front of Scott, Janet and I and had one of the babies for a snack but the eagle flew on. We fed the ducks a couple of pieces of bread. The water was pretty rough and had whitecaps most of the day. (P.S. When I ran up to get some bread for the ducks, I almost stepped on Chippie Redbud. He was so busy eating he wasn’t watching, he saw me at the last second and took off. I think it really freaked him out although he did come back later and finish them.)

Then we hooked the little boat up to the truck and headed to Deer Trail. He backed Scott into the water. He patiently talked us through the entire process and waited for Scott when the motor wasn’t starting. He took great care of us and we really appreciated it. While they were doing that I followed the rocks around so that I could see Barker’s cabin. Their boat house was open so I was wondering if Cameron’s had arrived. I would have called checked but we can’t use the phone right now. There was a mix up with the phone company and our package wasn’t activated. I can’t use the phone until tomorrow. I feel very badly because it’s my brother’s birthday and I wanted to call him and wish him happy birthday. He has been on my mind off and on all day. I’m sad to think that because of various circumstances we won’t be up here together any more. I always miss him when we are up here; we had so much fun when we were younger. I have many memories that I will always treasure but more importantly I want him to know how blessed I am to have him in my life. I love who he has become and I love how he loves God. I love how comfortable I feel around him. I know that he will always be there for me. I guess birthdays aren’t the only times to say those things! Love you, Al! Sorry I missed your birthday.

Anyway Scott brought the boat back to the dock and we got it all tied up. It ended up being a waste of time to get it out today because at this point the whitecaps are in full force – too dangerous for that little boat. BUT not too dangerous to take my kayak for a spin!!! I decided to stick close to shore to begin with so I went around the peninsula by Deer Trail and as my confidence built and turned west and headed out for open sea. I decided I would go parallel to Paradise Island and then ride the waves back to the dock. I didn’t want to send my arms into shock again! I was doing great, it was a blast. The waves make it extra fun! Suddenly the wind picked up even more, not only were there whitecaps but there were now “wind ripples”. It took everything I had but I paddled a few more feet to reach my goal. I let the wind turn me back to shore and started to paddle. It was bizarre! It was like I wasn’t even moving. I couldn’t hear the wind. I could see the waves but when I paddled it was like I was like they didn’t work. It was an eerie feeling almost like the still of a tornado but the wind really was blowing. I paddled in to shore and told Scott he had to try. So he went out a ways and tried it only after a couple of strokes back he quit and laid down on the kayak and floated back in. That was weird too because it took forever for him to get back.

It was one of those lazy days! We just hung out on the dock after that. I daydreamed and watched the water, the island, the boats and the birds. It’s so easy to see the grace of God lying on a dock surrounded by all that beauty with not a care in the world. Scott read his book. Around 5:30 pm we carried a few more buckets of muck to the burn pile and raked the beach again. The wind was stirring everything up so I’m sure we’ll have to redo it in the morning but at least it will be easier. We took our baths and I washed some clothes. The water wasn’t warm but it is getting more bearable. Scott even swam out to the rock. After that we fixed dinner and watched a couple of CSI episodes. It’s after 9pm and just starting to get dark. The water has calmed a little but still not worth going down to kayak. Scott also said that the mosquitoes are getting thick again. I’m excited for our next grand adventure tomorrow and will go to bed thanking God for our pleasant day and safety…

No comments: