Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturday, June 28, 2008

We had quite an adventure today. After sleeping in our truck from 1AM -5AM, Scott and I filled up the truck and crossed the border at 6AM. Scott drove 502 in the rain for two hours before we hit Ojibwa Trail. Shortly before we arrived at the cabin, I remembered that I hadn’t brought our keys with us. I didn’t figure it would be a big deal because Dad had a key hidden on the porch. Well I was wrong when we arrived at 8:30AM; we quickly found out in the pouring rain that Kleinpeter had not undone the padlock so even if I had brought me keys we would have been locked out because I don’t have a key to the padlock. This was no big deal; we would just run over to Kleinpeter’s and get the key. He wasn’t home. Plan C – there were two trucks at Jeff’s cabin so we went there, they were working on his cabin. Jeff had his phone working, so we called mom and dad who said just to saw off the lock. The worker had a Sawzall so he tried to cut the lock but it wouldn’t cut it so we just cut the latch. Once we were in we began to search for the key. After a while we found it and we couldn’t get the door to unlock with it. About the same time one of the men next door came over and said that someone had called Jeff’s phone and said that Kleinpeter was home. So we got back in the truck and went to Kleinpeter’s again. Finally, we began to unpack in the rain around 9:30AM. Around 11:30 AM in between cleaning and unpacking, we made grilled cheese and tomato soup. After working a little longer, we had to go back out in the rain to empty the toolbox on the kayak trailer. We got pretty wet so we decided we might as well get our baths over with. The temperature of the air was 65 degrees so this wasn’t going to be pleasant! It was one of the coldest baths I’ve had, even Scott moved quickly. But we did it after we got back we were cold and tired so we started to watch a movie on our computer but I kept falling asleep. We took a 2-3 hour nap and the rain had quit.

We decided to run into Vermillion Bay to pick up a couple of groceries we didn’t have. When we got out to the truck we realized it was stuck. We tried to get out a little bit but didn’t want to make huge ruts. We walked over to Groves to welcome them and the Kulbum’s were there. We visited for a little while. When we went back to the cabin it was sunny and 70 degrees so we unpacked our kayaks and went for a spin around Garbage Island. It was beautiful. It is a lot different from kayaking on the pond and even the river. It’s a little tougher to navigate and stay on course. The lake wasn’t glass smooth either so you could never just stop paddling until we got around to the south side of the island. I was disappointed because our eagles were gone. It looks like the tree that held their nest was destroyed because I don’t see it there.

When we got back we fended for ourselves for dinner and then did our Bible study. Now it’s almost 10PM and we are both wiped out. My shoulders are started to feel the kayaking!

No comments: