Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

It’s Alan and Bridget’s anniversary. I’ve been waiting all day to call them. I tried around 8:20 pm. I’ll wait a few more minutes before I try again. I still haven’t been able to wish Alan happy birthday. We finally got the phone straightened around today so I can make calls. Scott and I were just working on dishes when we saw two deer walk between Jeff and Martensen’s cabins to head down for a drink of water. Then we watched them grazing in Muse’s yard. Then the deer took off and a gray fox came trotting down the road. He stayed on the road for awhile until we lost sight of him behind our garage. It was fun. I’ll have to remember that 8:30 pm is happy hour for the animals!

We had a lazy day for most of the day. It was very cold when we woke up. We used Dad’s fireplace/heater. It did a nice job of heating up the cabin. It was windy and we could see the rain coming in from the lake. It would bring a nice light rain and then clear up. We would start to think about taking the boat out and a couple of minutes later; we would watch another front coming in over the water. After about the third one we resigned to spending the day in the cabin. We read for awhile and until the rain seemed to have passed so after lunch and a couple hands of Spite and Malice we headed for the boat. The only problem was that it was rougher than we anticipated and the wind was going pretty well. We cast and trolled around Paradise Island and then headed in. We decided that indeed we would be in the cabin most of the day. Back at the cabin we watched some CSI episodes and took a nap. Around 3 pm it started to clear up and the sun was threatening to stay out so I put on my warmer kayak clothes and we headed out. It was like a whole new day. There was still a cool breeze but the water was calm and the sun was coming in and out of the clouds. I got to choose today’s destination so we headed for the mainland south of Tivo Island. Wouldn’t you know the sun started to disappear more often than not and the waves started to get bigger? So we made it to the mainland but chucked the plan of going back by way of exploring the shores along the way. It was going to be a cold, wet paddle back. Of course back we were against the waves and the wind picked up. (It still wasn’t as big of waves as the day before!) We headed back but took a turn into the island just in front of Bear Trail Lodge. It was much quieter there and we enjoyed a paddle along Muse’s and Janie’s shores. When we got back the water had calmed way down and the sun was back out. We laid on the dock for awhile to dry off and warm up and headed up for dinner.

P.S. Chippie is getting braver and braver still chowing down on those peanuts! There was also a female mallard on our dock when I woke up this morning. My animal pictures aren’t great because they were through the screen.

No comments: