Thursday, July 16, 2009

July 16, 2009

It’s dropped down to 48 degrees and it’s pretty cold. It rained really hard for a little while and then tapers off and then rains again. The wind has calmed down some. We keep watching for an opportunity to go kayaking but it’s going to be cold. Not quite sure how I’m going to get a bath in! Scott and I played cards for awhile and had lunch about 3pm. Then we decided to go work in the wet cold. It hasn’t gotten above 50 degrees all day. We got the trailers moved to where Dad wanted them and started putting stuff away in the garage. We heard this weird animal and after watching closely we decided it was the two pileated woodpeckers. So I walked down the road to try and get a shot of both of them together and I heard some banging in the tree and spotted one working on a tree near the road. The other one saw me and they both flew to a tree in Jeff’s yard so I got ready to take a picture and right when I snapped one of them handed the other one something out of its beak. I definitely got the shot but I don’t know how it turned out yet. Scott cut down a couple more trees and I hauled them down. I raked the beach a little bit and then took all the tools up to the garage. By this time we had worked up the courage to hop in our kayaks. The wind suddenly picked up but we headed out into the waves and worked our way over to the little bay near Deer Trail. It was really calm and nice but my legs and feet were going numb from the cold. We watched a red-throated grebe protecting her little baby. We headed toward the opposite shore and I got this really eerie feeling and I looked out and saw the rain coming in. It started to spit a little so we decided to head in because I didn’t have a raincoat. As we headed in the wind picked up so we headed toward Paradise so we could ride the waves in.
When we got in we jumped in and took our baths. I could hardly stand to get my hair wet but I was okay. My legs were numb at this point so they really didn’t feel the cold. When I dipped back in to rinse my hair I got external brain freeze and decided it was time to go up. Scott was down there washing his sweatshirt and jeans and then in his swim trunks. I always thought he was a little nuts! When we got back up the cabin was 64 degrees. I’m in the truck right now with the heat blasting!!

No comments: