Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 3, 2009



July 3, 2009
We were up early and on the road around 6 am. Mom and Dad got passed the first stage of the border pretty quickly and Scott and I flew through. They didn’t even ask us about our 5 bins of food in the back of the truck! We pulled up to wait for them to go in and pay duty on the boat, trailer and windows. When he went in Dad forgot to mention the trailer and they were talking about seizing it and everything. I still don’t totally get what happened but we had to give them my email so that we could print something in 3-5 days and then take the trailer to Canadian Tire for an inspection. So we will be heading to Dryden early next week. I’m excited to go to the library and check it out to try for email access. We hit Ojibwa Trail around 10:30am and Dad went nuts! He started driving like a maniac. It was like he saw the end and nothing was going to slow him down. I walkie talkied mom and told her I was praying for her safety. It was just funny because we couldn’t drive over 60 mph the entire trip but then he lost his mind. Actually he was going pretty fast on 502. If our Garmin was right we hit 104 km a couple of times. Although our Garmin said we weren’t on 502 most of the way. We had to change our icon to a truck with big wheels so that we could off-road with no problems!  When we arrived everything looked great and we unpacked our billion tubs of food. Ron and Dee stopped by and we visited for awhile and then had tuna salad for lunch.
After we kind of unpacked we decided to try and put the float boat in. The only problem was that it wouldn’t start. Richard had Dad’s truck backed in up over the muffler and Mom and I were sitting in the float boat going “Don’t look” but we couldn’t stand it we had to look and the muffler was blowing bubbles under the water. Mom and I finally left and went up to see Ruth and buy our fishing licenses. Then we walked home and we were going to make chili and hop in our kayaks to go see how the men were doing. We took one kayak down the hill and then went into make the chili. Meanwhile the guys came back and Scott carried his kayak down the hill. I’m a little fuzzy on what we did next but Dad and Scott ended up back at Deer Trail working on the boat and Mom and I kayaked over to give moral support. When we arrived there were 5 guys trying to figure out what was wrong with the motor: Dad, Scott, Richard, Richard’s dad (visiting from Wisconsin) and some other guy that I later learned owns the Coop in Vermillion Bay. Mom gave Scott his kayak and went back with Dad. Scott and I kayaked back. It was very discouraging because now the float boat was parked at Deer Trail and Dad was going to have to hire someone to fix it. Later on Mom and Dad went into Dryden and they said it would be three weeks and really expensive for someone to come out and that they couldn’t come out for at least three weeks. Dad was really discouraged because now he was going to have to take it back out and drive it to Vermillion Bay. Dad was telling Ron and Dee the problem and mentioned the automatic choke and Ron said don’t take it in because he wanted to look at it.

No comments: