Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 was a day full of grace. We got up and did our Bible study and then the guys went to Vermillion Bay while Mom and I did 4 loads of laundry and swept the floor. When they got back we had some yummy brownie stew that Janet had left for us. Then Dad declared it was nap time. Everyone was asleep when I headed out to the camper to read. After awhile I had started to drift off to sleep when Scott came in and said hello. He and dad were getting ready to cement the new steps to the beach. He left and I started to go back to sleep when Mom came in to ask me if I wanted a peanut butter and jelly for dinner because we were going fishing in about an hour. After she left I crashed out. I don't know how long I slept but when I woke up I had to really make myself wake up. I stumbled out of the camper and Dad announced we were going fishing. It seemed kind of windy so I was a little unsure. We headed to Deer Trail to get gas and minnows. Then we headed to our walley hole. It was really windy when we got passed Sunset Island. We were really bouncing and the fish were really not biting so we decided to head through Canoe Narrows which was nice and peaceful waters. It was beautiful. Dad caught one northern on a black Daredevil. After that we headed through the Back Channel into the first turn of Portage Bay next to Boat Island. The wind had died down and the water was calm. There were already about five boats there. We dropped our lines and had a couple of nibbles. While we were there we saw about 6 or 7 walleyes caught. Most of them were in the slot and so they were throwing them back in. Every once in awhile you would hear a big splash and look over and see a shad jumping out of the water and a walleye following it to catch it. It was really cool. We were relieved we didn't catch anything because we realized there was no net in the boat! Around 8:30pm we headed back to Connaught Point and took a quick break. Then as we began to cast it started to lightly rain. I looked over at Boat Island and there was a huge rainbow. The water had become glass, it was breathtaking, especially as the sun began to set. Shortly afterward we headed home, seeing the sunset and the rainbow the entire way. When we got back the sunset had turned into this brilliant pink-red. It looked like the sky was on fire. The rainbow had settled in over the cabin. Mom and I took pictures. Then Scott and I hopped in our kayaks and paddled over to Muse's and back b/c it was getting dark. As we took our bath we were swatting mosquitos the whole time. They were really bad! :( John and family were supposed to make it in tonight but their 8am flight kept getting canceled. They finally made a flight that stopped in Tennessee. They made it to Eveleth by around 9pm and were still looking for a room for the night.

No comments: